Click the Pic N' Mix - past blog posts from Bang2write (click & scroll down for articles)

2leep.com

Friday, April 13, 2007

Friday the Thirteenth

Because, as screenwriters, we all love useless information...

1. Paranoid and afraid today, maybe so much you can't leave the house?? Then you have paraskevidekatriaphobia: that is, Fear of Friday The Thirteenth. Really.

2. Friday the Thirteenth is considered unlucky in English, German and Portugese-speaking countries. In Greece and Spain, it's Tuesday the 13th that's considered unlucky.

3. The film, Friday The Thirteenth had a budget of $700,000 yet made $39,754,601. Everything you could ever want to know about this or the many films that came after can be seen on this website, including scripts. Additional trivia: I have never seen any of them. It's true.

4. A lot of people believe that Friday the Thirteenth is considered unlucky because there is a deep-rooted fear of both the number thirteen and, more surprisingly Fridays, stemming from Christianity. Basically, Judas was the 13th disciple (and we all know what happened there) and Christ was crucified on a Friday. In addition, some Christians believe that Adam and Eve ate the apple on a Friday and Noah's flood came on a Friday too. Many early Christians refused to plan any sort of trip or major activity on a Friday as they believed they would be doomed from the start.

5. One of our very own bloggers Jason, not the guy in the hockey mask, has written a book about Friday The Thirteenth. Rock on.

6. The Bible is well known to consider numbers and their significance. The number 12 is considered a lucky number: 12=1+2=3 = physical reality. As a result, the number which follows 12 was thought to be evil.

7. On Friday 13 June 1997, The Stranglers staged a concert at the sold-out Royal Albert Hall, London, UK with an eighteen piece string orchestra called The Electra Strings. "Friday the Thirteenth" then is the recording of their songs there, which include Skin Deep and Golden Brown.

8. I like this one the best: another suggestion for Friday the Thirteenth being unlucky is that it comes from Norse Legend. Twelve Gods were having a feast in Valhalla and the mischievous Loki gatecrashed the party as an uninvited 13th guest and arranged for Hod, the blind God of Darkness, to shoot Baldur, the God of joy and gladness, with a mistletoe-tipped arrow. Baldur was killed and the Earth was plunged into darkness and mourning as a result.

12 comments:

Lianne said...

My Mum was born on the 13th and she's highly superstitious about it. Not sure I'd go so far as to say it was a phobia - she isn't so paranoid she won't leave the house, but she does get quite anxious about it.

Surprised you haven't seen Friday 13th. I don't like it much but it's certainly been influential.

Lucy said...

Good luck for your Mum then Lianne - if she was born on Friday 13th, she's blessed, not unlucky! Check out this link

http://www.crystalinks.com/
friday13th.html

I never saw Friday 13th 'cos Killers in the Country are not really my type of horror. Had enough of the Devonians, know what I mean? ; )

Sheila West said...

Hey, Lucy, I heard that Friday the 13th was the date on which the Knights Templar were rounded up and slaughtered by some Pope or other about 900 years ago. And so supposedly THAT was where the unluckiness first was associated with it.

Don't know if it's true. But that's what I heard.

BTW, the Japanese consider the two numbers 4 and 9 to be unlucky. And if you add those together ....

Lianne said...

Thanks for the link Lucy - I'll tell my Mum, although I reckon she'll take a bit of convincing!

Lucy said...

Sheila - yes, I read about The Knights of Templar. Seems to me like everyone's trying to get in on the act though, don't ya think?? ; )

Lianne - if your Mum won't accept it, beat her about the head with a frying pan. It won't make her believe you, but then she'll know she's been unlucky enough to give birth to a child who's willing to assault her in the name of proving a point.

Lianne said...

I think I've probably inflicted enough pain on her over the years not to need to do that Lucy, but thanks for the suggestion all the same!

Jason Arnopp said...

Hey Lucy, thanks for the pimp action on my book! It's not exactly ABOUT Friday The 13th, mind: don't want people being all disappointed... ;-) x

Lucy said...

It's got it in the title, you swindler! How VERY dare you! ; )

I know it's not, but for purposes of this post I stretched the truth a little. How unusual for me!

oneslackmartian said...

I read number 6 three times, but I'm still not getting it.

Lucy said...

It's a philosophical thang and open to interpretation and argument, but I see it like this:

1 = God

2 = Metaphysical (love, soul, etc)

3 = physical reality

So:

God + Metaphysical = physical reality

'Cos you can't have flesh, stone, earth, etc without love, hate, the soul, creativity and you can't have all that without the notion of a CREATOR whether that's God, Allah, Braman, Mother Nature, etc etc.

oneslackmartian said...

Silly, I was making a 666 joke!

Oh, you philosophers!!

Don't make me go Knock Knock on you.

Lucy said...

I've said it before and I'll say it again:

FREAK.

You'll feel better when you just admit it, OSM... honest.