Click the Pic N' Mix - past blog posts from Bang2write (click & scroll down for articles)

2leep.com

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Mr. Nice

Well, I'm back from the Adrian Mead Seminar in London... I had a fab day!

I've been on many, many scriptwriting short courses now: I make a point of going on at least one a year, since Adrian points out that the industry is constantly changing and it's always a good idea to keep one's skills up-to-date. Also, I like to be in a position to be able to reccommend courses to Bang2write clients and I can safely say: if you do no other, do this one. Adrian Mead and Clare Kerr were fantastic, really positive and helpful. Adrian is a great, not to mention funny, orator and much kudos to Clare and her band of Helpers who kept everything flowing not only in terms of coffee, tea and food but also pointing out who might want to network with whom.

Adrian offered a variety of insights that I'm sure will be dissected by a plethora of blogs across the Scribosphere, so I won't go into it in minute detail; what I will say that his and the rest of the team's attitudes proved really inspiring. So often one can go to these courses and enjoy them, but really just have confirmed what you already really know. This was a different kind of course, since it was all about enabling your life plan and your goals but without the touchy-feely-everybody-fall-into-each-others'-arms trust exercises that us Brits typically find embarrassing and a little bit scary!

He also emphasised the importance of common courtesy and being generous to each other: helping people out is what gets you ahead; it never hurts to be known as "Mr (or Mrs.) Nice". I totally agree with this. People have been incredibly kind to me over the years, going out of their way to advise me and help me find my way and now, having been a Reader for a few years, I have even been a position to return the favour on occasion which has been fantastic. Whilst Karma can be over-simplified, I do feel this very basic principle can really help the Media World go round and make it much nicer place to work, without the "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours" cliquey idea, which promotes notions of industry fatcats locked away in dark little rooms.

In addition to the course itself, the event allowed ample time for networking, which was great. I saw all my usual "Homies" Lianne, Good Dog and Lara, but was able to meet Dominic, Pillock and Potdoll at last as well as numerous Bang2write clients past and present! I was also able to meet many other interesting people - I have your cards now, so I will be in touch very soon.

So a great day was had by all... In fact, the only downside was I now have a very sore throat from yakking so much. Oh: and Good Dog grabbed my arse in front of Adrian Mead. Thanks for that. I will get you back...Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow...But soon. Be very afraid, GD!

18 comments:

Lucy said...

Oh, I'm receiving a message from The Other Side! It's very strong... It's THE GHOST OF CRAMPON-FRED'S NADS! They say: "Run Good Dog, RUN!!!"

Danny Stack said...

Sounds like a good day had by all, nice one!

Lucy said...

Danny!!! You made it here at last. A tear has come to my eye... ; )

But yes, a wicki-wicki day, no doubt about that.

Good Dog said...

"Run Good Dog, RUN!!!"

I hope you've got the stamina for the chase because the 'nickname' is associated with the hunting phrase "A good dog will run till his heart explodes".

...which kind of implies a really bad and messy ending for... oh, boy.

It wasn't meant to be a grab but a slap as a riposte to you mashing the palm of your hand hard against my nipple on the way to the pub.

Was that because I instructed all you out-of-townies to pair up and hold hands when crossing the road to the pub?

Anyway, it was a great day. Today I'm getting everything packed up and ready to be relocated as part of the Doofus Protection Program.

Lianne said...

Good Dog may have grabbed your arse but you grabbed my boob so you are not so innocent either!

Good Dog said...

Aha, you see! And...

When the hell did this happen, and why wasn't I watching?

Pillock said...

Good dog, you were too busy talking about your badger-bothering. When challenged, you claimed the poor animals ASK FOR IT.

Disgraceful.

Lucy said...

Boys, boys, calm down...It was an accident I grabbed Lianne's boob.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Lianne said...

Total lie. She couldn't keep her hands off, the saucy mare!

Lucy said...

Lianne! You told me you'd never kiss and tell. We're so finished...

Dom Carver said...

I leave early and what happens..? A full on orgy by the sounds of it. Damn me and my three hours sleep.

Damn good day and very good to meet you all. Hopefully next time I'll be more awake.

Olaf Legend said...

Get a room.

potdoll said...

gosh it's very saucy over here today.

Riddley Walker said...

In defense of GD, I started the whole sordid mess about the badgers...

Lucy said...

I knew it!

MaryAn Batchellor said...

I'm with you on the touchy-feely fall into each other's arms trust thing. I don't do it. I'll walk out if a seminar turns into something like that even if it means wasting my money. I have a space. Everyone has to stay out of it unless I invite them otherwise - arse grabbing excepted now and then.

Lucy said...

Hear, hear Maryan... there are many things we can thank the Americans for, like hotdogs and flavoured condoms... Trust exercises are not one of them. Soz.

Lara said...

Great to catch up with everyone/meet more bloggers on Saturday! I am rejoicing in the fact I am now back in the wonderful world of cyber again as it's been a technically arid few months. But now that is over and I have finally, finally got my blog up and running. See you at Tenacious Me