Click the Pic N' Mix - past blog posts from Bang2write (click & scroll down for articles)

2leep.com

Friday, March 30, 2007

The Long Distance Screenwriter

So I've sent my payment off to Adrian Mead's seminar in June in Edinburgh... I had such a good time last time, plus the fact the lovely Marc Pye will be there made it a no-brainer... Except for one thing. I'm absolutely, 100% petrified of flying. I was even going to go on the train, but since it'll take FOURTEEN HOURS MINIMUM (one takes twenty one! WTF?) I don't really see I have any choice if I want to actually get there and back within three days instead of bloody nearly five! I've never been on a plane, I don't mind admitting it. It was never in the pipeline for years: I was so broke as a single Mum that I was barely making ends meet for years, let alone consider flying anywhere. Now I'm doing far better for myself and oh, got MARRIED so doubled the househole income, suddenly I'm able to actually CONSIDER things like holidays and flying and actually, it's a little bit scary! I had thought I would spend my entire life scraping around for a living (no way was I ever going near a fella again! Hah - famous last words) and had been quite comfortable with the idea of being mega-poor. We're not squillionaires now by any means - my husband works with kids who have behavioral difficulties, which is notoriously underpaid considering what he has to put up with - but in comparison to being a single Mum, perpetual STUDENT and Reader, the very bottom of the food chain, we're The Trumps. So that's one good thing about starting your adult life in the financial shit - you're grateful for anything you get! ; )

So, I'm flying up the night before the seminar from Bristol. Are you going? Some friendly faces would be good when I get there...I'll be the girl a deathly shade of white and shaking like I'm on some kind of drugs withdrawal. You may not get any sense out of me for the first hour or so, but I promise I'll snap out of it at some point. Hopefully. Even better, if any of you are actually flying from Bristol, let's meet up on the plane. With a bit of luck I may not freak out, though since I watched Snakes On A Plane only recently, anything could happen. So be warned...

8 comments:

Elinor said...

Hypnotherapy did it for my sis-in-law who wanted to visit her husband in the Middle East. It kept her calm throughout the flight.
We started out as three in a bedsit now we are five in a cottage (in Peckham!). It doesn't half sort out your priorities! My rules are: Roof over head? Food on table? Clothes on back? Then be glad. It stops you taking anything for granted. Time passes and things change, hurrah!

potdoll said...

For similar reasons I never went on a plane either until my early twenties. I was shitting it but then I thought about all the people I knew who had died in a plane crash... none. compared with mates who had died in car accidents: four. Yet there I was driving about in a car as happy as larry. er, think I mean draw comfort from statistics.

think about your motivation for going. what do you stand to gain.

also i bet your son will be well proud that you got on a plane. he will learn from your example. (god what do i sound like)

that's enough from me i'm beginning to freak myself out. have fun!

Lucy said...

Elinor - too right. I used to live in a flat with rats, cockcroaches AND frost on the INSIDE of the windows, plus the kebab shop owner downstairs wasn't big on Health and safety leaving vats of fat on all night, so anywhere that doesn't stink of bits of animal by-products and you can escape from a fire does me.

Potdoll - sorry to hear about your friends and yes, that does put it in perspective! Statistics can be v helpful in trying to overcome irrational fears.

AndrewT said...

It will be worth it, Edinburgh is a great city, and I hear Adrian's seminars are well worth it.

Olaf Legend said...

Potdoll. That is four too many, yes?

But movies play on our innermost fear - Who would wish to view a movie named Snakes In A Car?

Minding you, while i was travel on my cycle to work i did encounter Prats In A Car.

potdoll said...

you could say that Olaf

David Bishop said...

Annoyingly, I won't be at Adrian's seminar in June, as I'm away on holiday that week - a committment booked back in January, long before Adrian set his date. Shame, as I'd love to have been there and met Lucy [and others] in the flesh.

Lucy said...

KNACKERS! I felt sure you'd be there David. Tell you what, sell your holiday and identity on eBay to the highest bidder, then come to Edinburgh and eat rhubarb and custard sweets at the back with me instead! I know annoyed Dominic Carver a lot about that (Soz Dom!) - he was sitting in front of me and kept turning round with THAT LOOK on his face!!