Click the Pic N' Mix - past blog posts from Bang2write (click & scroll down for articles)

2leep.com

Saturday, March 10, 2007

The Destination

Haven't finished your screenplay, outline, novel, whatever?

Maybe you haven't started?

Maybe it's all still a dream to you: "One day I'll be a writer," "One day I'll send my script out, try and get an agent," "One day I'll try and get a production company interested in me."

Sort yourself out!

One of my philosophy students yesterday excused himself for not doing his essay on moral realism because he had been ill and because he had "too much other coursework." I told him: sorry mate. Time management is part of adult life.

So if time management is part of adult life, why do we invariably neglect our dreams? If you have no dreams, you have no life in my book. That's going to impact on your work, your family life...everything. I always say: "How can I say to my kids "Follow your dreams" if I don't?"

The point of this post is not to lecture you or say I'm great and you're not. Rather, I want you to sit down and say: "What IS my dream? HOW can I achieve it?"

It's easier than you think.

When I was a young girl, all I ever wanted to be was a writer. When I got pregnant as a teenager, I junked this dream because I had to be responsible. I was a mother now. I had no money, no house, no security, no boyfriend even. Bugger.

It was the worst thing I ever did.

Without my dream of TRYING it as a writer, I was half the person I should be - therefore I was half the mother I should have been. I became lethargic, bored. I loved my son, absolutely and totally, but there was something "missing".

So I went to university. I took my son with me. We had to do a variety of flits from flats infested with mice and cockcroaches. I had a boyfriend who was a nutter and my son's father followed me to Bournemouth and messed me around constantly. I was broken into. Mugged, twice. The gas boiler blew up at one place and at another my Landlord left us with no electricity for a week when the fuse box blew up. I was stalked by a lesbian called Gemma and my best friend who lived over the road turned into a psycho.

I loved it.

Why? Not because of any of those things. Shit happens. But I was doing what I wanted to do. That's what counts. Regardless of the shit.

So: you want something? Go and get it. It might be hard. But anything worth having is never easy... And maybe you'll never have it. I'm STILL trying. I'm making some slow progress, but I'm not there yet. Perhaps I never will be.

But the journey counts as well: not just the destination.

14 comments:

Pillock said...

I wrote my first story after getting mugged. POV the muggers. I ended up liking them. The fictional ones, I mean. It's not like you should suffer for your art, but make art out of your suffering. Or something Barton-Finky like that. If I got the cabin in Colorado, I'd probably dry up.

Phillip Barron said...

"So I went to university. I took my son with me. We had to do a variety of flits from flats infested with mice and cockcroaches. I had a boyfriend who was a nutter and my son's father followed me to Bournemouth and messed me around constantly. I was broken into. Mugged, twice. The gas boiler blew up at one place and at another my Landlord left us with no electricity for a week when the fuse box blew up. I was stalked by a lesbian called Gemma and my best friend who lived over the road turned into a psycho."

The Pursuit of Happyness 2?

Lucy said...

Quite possibly! But definitely the triumph of hope over experience...

Olaf Legend said...

It is true, my british friend. But that is the beauty of life - whether some thing happen around the world or around the corner, everything in life is of interest. Life is only for curious persons. Life is never boresome.

Anthony Quint in Zorba The Greek: "Boss! Life is trouble!

I like the way that in spite of all you have say in todays post, you still remain much positive.

potdoll said...

Our lives have been spookily similar at times Lucy.

Just wish I had your energy!

Lucy said...

Amen, Pillock and Olaf...

Potty: why, did Gemma stalk you as well?! ; )

potdoll said...

Yes - except her name wasn't Gemma when I knew her... :)

Lucy said...

Ah: she gets around, that one...

Chris said...

Stalked by a lesbian?

Hot.

Philosophy prof.?

What's it all about then?

Lucy said...

Ah, Chris... If I had a quid everytime I was asked that I'd be Bill Gates!!!

In my view, the meaning of life is to never find the meaning of life...As once you find the meaning of life, your life is meaningless!!!

Phillip Barron said...

Why does everyone assume life has a meaning?

Tables don't have a meaning, they have a use, a function but they don't have a meaning.

Why does life have to have a meaning?

By the way, Lucy, your InkTip page still points to your old blog.

Lucy said...

Thanks Phil, I know. Haven't got round to changing it with the Inktip guys yet.

As for function Vs. meaning, doesn't a function give something meaning?!

The Moviequill said...

old Chinese proverb: the journey of 10,000 miles begins with one step (so walk, damnit!) great post L

Phillip Barron said...

No. A function gives something a use.

Probably.

Oh, I don't know. Life doesn't have a meaning. I thought Monty Python sorted that out ages ago.