Click the Pic N' Mix - past blog posts from Bang2write (click & scroll down for articles)

2leep.com

Thursday, February 08, 2007

Off Outline

So I write an outline. I'm pretty pleased with it - it's detailed, it makes sense, it's dramatic. Check, check, check. Start Act One: goes according to plan. Check. Act Two, First Half: no problems. Check. Then we hit the midpoint...

...And my character comes alive and kills someone he shouldn't. Someone who was in the outline, who was supposed to have a bigger role, but he just killed her! Bastard.

Is this a good or a bad thing I wonder?

6 comments:

Optimistic_Reader said...

This happens to me all the time! Why not keep going with it as it is and see where it takes you? Unless of course you're up against a deadline and the change means you'll have to re-work some of what you've already written. That's just annoying!

Chris (ukscriptwriter) said...

Didn't you write a few posts ago that you don't come up with the story, it's the story floating out in the universe that finds you (or something).

Perhaps that's how the story was always supposed to play out. Spooky (or not)!

Lucy said...

OR - so it's not just me! That's a relief... Carried on anyway and discovered she is in fact surplus to requirements, so my character was 100% justified in killing her but EVEN SO!

Chris - that's Plato's idealism you're talking about, so it IS supernatural...wooooohh....

James Moran said...

Oh God, if that didn't happen, it'd be boring as shite doing the script, cause you'd just be transcribing stuff you already know. It's great when it goes randomly mad like that. And you could big up her part while she's alive, make it seem like she's got a major role to play - then it'll be all shocking when she's bumped off.

Heh: "100% justified in killing her" - you monster...

Lucy said...

Hah! I am a monster aren't I, reading that back! : )

You are quite right, master. I will go and wax on, wax off and resume painting the fence...

Lucy said...

VERDICT AFTER COVERAGE:

It's a bad thing. "Risible" is the word used. DAMN IT! I know not to believe you bastards next time!!! ; )